Heaven

So, today was pretty exhausting at work. Since the school year began, business has slowed down, which is totally okay, but today we were constantly busy. I, being the introvert that I am, was feeling pretty overwhelmed and panicky. I was constantly taking orders and money and I barely had time to get myself together mentally. I nearly had a breakdown, simply put. And that anxiety that was building up and crushing me wasn't getting better, though it was beginning to slow down.
But something popped into my head -- something that my pastor had been saying for a few weeks in church.
Whenever you feel overwhelmed and discouraged, think of heaven.
And you know what?
I started to think of heaven, and I was instantly calmed down. I mean, I was still exhausted, but I wasn't panicky, I wasn't anxious. My breakdown didn't happen. I felt joy, something I haven't experienced in a very long time.
I finally had something to look forward to besides getting off work and getting to introvert at home. I got to look forward to being in heaven with my Lord, my Jesus. Some place where I don't have to deal with customers, loud fellow employees, or a constant necessity to do chores. Someplace where the Sun is always shining -- well, not the Sun because the light of heaven comes directly from God Himself. And I finally felt relief from work, my current personal issues, and people (I really don't like being around people that aren't family).
One strategy I use in normal life to keep myself focused is music. I listen to a song that I need at the moment in my head and concentrate on it. The song that came to me today (besides the Harry Potter theme song that I tap out with my fingers as if I'm playing the piano) was "Home" by Chris Tomlin. It's one of my favorites right now. And all I could think were the lyrics "I'm going home."
And I am going home. My home is in heaven, with my Lord Jesus. And we as Christians should look forward to going there. We should look forward to that indescribably beautiful place where God is, where we can dwell in His pure splendor, where we can experience God like we never can here on earth.
So whenever life gets you down, Sun becomes a real problem, or you just can't deal with people, just think of your future home: Heaven.

Comments